Friday, October 12, 2007

Firenze!

Hey everyone. Just a quick update for you. But first, let me clear something up that hopefully no one was actually confused about. That last post's introductory dialogue had nothing to do with any reality except that of my own rambling imagination. I just decided when I started to type that entry that I would just say whatever came to my mind. And that was it. Kind of scary.

Anyway. I'm in Florence (Firenze en Italiano) and it's pretty nice. Jon and I got here without a . . . I almost typed 'without a hitch', meaning with no problems, but we did get a hitch, and no, I'm not trying to be funny, I almost did write 'without a hitch'. We got about 5 or 6 hitches from Huemoz to Turin where we caught a train to Florence. It was a long day yesterday, not just because of the hitchhiking and travelling (it took us from 10 am til 8:30 pm to get to Florence from Huemoz), but also because when Jon and I went to go upstairs to sleep in the hotel room with our friends from L'Abri, the lady at the desk told us if we stayed the night that we would be charged for a room. Sooooooo, at about 12:30 am, Jon and I set out to find a hotel/hostel/bench. We checked with literally 20+ hotels and they were all booked up. Finally, at a little after 2 am, we found a double room for 109 euros for the night. I'll expand on this story later, but suffice it to say that tonight we were much sneakier about getting into our friends' hotel and now we are very very very thankful to have a place to sleep for the evening.

I'll post again as I have time and energy. Tomorrow we're exploring more of Florence and then on Sunday, Jon and I leave for Capraia.

Ciao.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey chris!

thanks for all that info - it makes me so jealous just reading about all the fun you're gonna have! Instead, I'm stuck in boring old switzerland ;-)...
enjoy your time, give my love to everybody, have a great trip and flying down the verzasca dam!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're having a good time! We are all jealous of your adventures and can't wait to hear more from you. Love and miss you!

livethelifetoday said...

I hate to break it to you, my friend, but you are the one having crazy adventures and probably the time of your life. I am just trying to teach math, character, and the gospel to a bunch of kids, many from broken homes, in a rough neighborhood. If I had the money, I'd probably do the L'Abri thing, too. Send me an email sometime telling me about everything going on there, both the traveling and the learning.

Oh, and you are a talented writer.

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed that the hitch-hiking actually worked! That sucks about the hotel. Something similar happened to me in Ireland.
Have fun in Capraia!

KMB said...

OH you are in Firenze! Benvenuti! I lived there a year! La citta bella! Enjoy your stay. I recommend La Specola museo. It is on the other less turiste side of Firenze and is a lesser known gem. It is something of the old world. I was gone awhile from my computer but best wishes to your travels!

Anonymous said...

those shoes are mine, betch.