Monday, June 25, 2007

The times are a-changin'

Something I've found myself asking over the last week or so is, what is the point of this blog now that I'm not in some faraway place? Now that I'm back home and I'm not just using the blog to let you guys know what's going on in my life, why do I still have a blog?

Some answers to that question. First, there are still people who don't live anywhere near me that want to know what's going on with my life; so I'll still talk about my life so that they can know what's going on. Second, I spend more time on the internet than most of you so I have found some things out there that I think may interest you or help you waste some time during the day. A good example is that Microsoft Surface video I posted earlier. I don't know if any of you liked it or not, but I did; so I posted it. Hopefully someone out there who would never have seen that video watched it and laughed. I'll also post about things that I've read or listened to that may interest someone. Thus this blog may become a link in the long chain of the passing on of information in our global village. Third . . . I don't know if there is a third. Maybe this blog is just giving me some sort of practice learning how to do some random web design stuff.

Anyway, I just kind of felt like I needed to explain to myself why I keep posting on the blog and explain to you why you should keep reading.

In other news, I got four new books in today! They are (in no particular order):
--The Fall of Interpretation by James K.A. Smith
--Who's Afraid of Postmodernism? by James K.A. Smith
--Introducing Radical Orthodoxy by James K.A. Smith
--Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard

Yeah, I know, three books by James K.A. Smith might be overkill, but I heard a lot of good things about him from the workers at L'Abri and I'm interested in all of the topics that the books are exploring so I think I'll make it without overdosing on James Smith. Pilgrim at Tinker Creek is my roommate Nate's favorite book I think. He loves Annie Dillard, and this is her most acclaimed book (it won the Pulitzer Prize for non-fiction in 1975).

Finally, I'd like to fulfill the second of my blog's stated goals before I conclude this post. I will do that by referring you to one of my favorite sites on the internet: Woophy. Woophy could possibly be one of the most amazing travel photography sites on the internet. The way the site works is simple: users can post pictures of the places that they live or visit and they site displays the pictures in groups based on the city in which the pictures were taken. When you get to the site you're presented with a large map with little dots all over it. Zoom in on an area and click on a city of your choice to see pictures from that city. Very easy. Very fun. Great way to procrastinate. So, go check out Woophy and enjoy looking at all the random places in the world.

Good bye.

No comments: