Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I am . . .

I am sitting in a computer lab in the Academic Enrichment (read: tutoring for athletes) Center at USC. I never thought I'd be using a USC computer again, but apparently I just can't stay away. Actually, the reason I'm here is that James Basler, a friend of mine, needed a ride up here so that he could apply to be a tutor this year. I guess they're in desperate need for tutors because the first thing that the woman said to him was "When can you start?" Yes, at USC it's none but the best tutors for our athletes.

I hate being talked down to. The lady who was helping James apply to be a tutor spoke down to me. She told me I could go use the computer lab, but only if I "promise to be an exemplary student." I know it doesn't sound very condescending when I write it out, but if you had been here, you would have felt it.

I don't have anything to say here; I'm just wasting time until James gets done. It's been about 30 minutes so far. I'm going to see if I can find anything interesting.

I'll be right back.

Well, here's something. An article at CNN.com with the headline of "Man flies 193 miles in lawn chair." Pretty amazing. Actually, it's just amazing that this guy does this kind of stuff just for fun. He's not a professional pilot or anything; he just decided he wanted to fly through the air on a lawn chair lifted by helium-filled balloons. Check out the article. It's worth a read.

I think James is almost ready to go. I can hear him talking to that lady in the hall. I think she's asking him if he can tutor tonight. I better go.

Good bye.

Oh yeah, I leave for Argentina in two days! I'll post about that trip before I head out on Thursday.

No comments: