Wednesday, May 16, 2007

America happened tonight

Yes, America. To give you the full force of what happened tonight at dinner, I need to tell you about our diet here at L'Abri. It's hard to cook great meals for 30 people on a budget. If there are any mothers of 30 that are reading this, then you know what I mean. We eat mostly potatoes, rice, granola, and other forms of pure carbohydrates. An average dinner will consist of some sort of soup or rice with beans and other assorted veggies accompanied by fresh-baked bread and perhaps a brownie or cookie. Rarely do we get meat. Very rarely. There are exceptions such as tiny pieces of beef that were in the borscht soup we had yesterday or tiny pieces of bacon on the bread with cheese and peppers we had at lunch today. On the whole, however, protein in the form of animal flesh is lacking in our diets. I sometimes feel like a pregnant lady. Not so much in the sense of having a human inside of my tummy area but definitely in the sense of being able to smell minerals or other things that my body is lacking (I've heard that some pregnant women in Mississippi have an irresistable urge to eat clay because it has iron in it).
All of that is what makes what happened tonight the most amazing show of America's cultural might since Japan after World War II. Tonight we had dinner at George and Eileen's house. George and Eileen are two of the workers here and their house just down the road from Chalet Bellevue which is where we live. I had been working hard all day long and was thinking about how many pieces of bread and glasses of water I would have to consume to mitigate my manly hunger. As I arrived at their home, I noticed the distinctive smell of grilling which made me think veggie kabobs. I walked up the stairs, removed my shoes, and walked into the kitchen. Immediately I was met with an exuberant double-five by Josh Farrar who told me that tonight for dinner we were having cheeseburgers and hotdogs. Cheeseburgers and hotdogs. Cheeseburgers and hotdogs. Dinner tonight was like having a Fourth of July meal. Cheeseburgers, hotdogs, and RiceKrispy Treats for dessert. I couldn't believe my taste buds. Who knew that the cooked flesh of our animal cousins tasted so great?

I did. But I had forgotten. Now I remember. And I will never forget again.

With vegetables you kind of have to add a bunch of other things like herbs and spices to make them savory. Meat, however, is good right off the bone. No spices necessary.

We dined and talked and talked and dined. George loves AC/DC so we talked about that and listened to the best of Dire Straits. Neither band is from America, but nonetheless, America happened tonight at Chalet Melezes.

In other news, we had our first lecture today. It was a little bit more of a discussion than just a lecture. We discussed postmodernism and its effects in the debate about truth, knowledge, God, and the church. Maybe tomorrow--my free day--I can expand on that.

4 comments:

Patrick said...

I'll see you in one-hundred sixty-eight hours. Ask your worker people if you can eat Spargel tomorrow. It might just be a German thing. It's Spargelzeit!

Unknown said...

Toph, I miss you dearly, and I have no clue when I will see you next! argh!

Anonymous said...

mmmm how carnivorous.

NJP

Jenny said...

There are some pregnant women that crave eating cigarette butts. I read about that in a pregnancy book. FYI, the book also said that you should contact your doctor if you have non-food related cravings.