Sunday, May 20, 2007

Too tired for knowledge

I want you all to know that I had every intention of sharing what I've learned about epistemology with you on my blog today. However, right after chapel I was talked into going on a short three-hour hike with a bunch of people. What was supposed to be three hours turned into about five hours, and by the time I made it home I was completely worn out. Luckily, for dinner tonight we had sausage and there was plenty to go around so I got enough protein to keep my muscles from completely deteriorating. Unfortunately, I am just too worn out to write about epistemology tonight. Tomorrow or sometime soon, however, I promise I'll write as much as I can explain.

Tomorrow I'm going to start reading Francis Schaeffer's book entitled He Is There and He Is Not Silent. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Chris! You're not supposed to capitalize the not-so-important words in the titles of books." Believe me, I know. But, that's how Amazon.com has it and if it's good enough for Amazon it's good enough for me. My tutor, Greg Laughery, told me to read the book and think about a critique of Schaeffer's epistemology. I am also supposed to be thinking about how things become real to people. Not just true, but real. For instance, Christianity is at least True, but it is so much more than that. It is real and it is true for me.
Don't freak out. I don't mean true for me in the same way that apathetic thinkers say that whatever works for them is true for them. What I mean is that it's more than just factually true in your mind; it's how you see the world. It's emotionally true. It's spiritually true. But what I'm trying to figure out is whether or not being spiritually and emotionally true feels very different or should be thought of as very different than just being rationally true. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but as I figure it out a little bit more and think through a few more things I'll let you guys know what I'm thinking. Hopefully my thoughts won't bore you.

In other news, Lebanon's fighting again. Big surprise, right? The fighting is in Tripoli which is a city that we went to last summer. Nice place. Apparently home to some dodgy figures.

No comments: