Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Taylor Mali

Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like you to meet Mr. Taylor Mali. He's a slam poet. Wikipedia (no, I don't use it to get important information) defines slam poetry as "a postmodern performance poetry, a form of spoken word performed at a competitive poetry event, called a 'slam', at which poets perform their own poems (or, in rare cases, those of others) that are 'judged' on a numeric scale by randomly picked members of the audience." Taylor Mali was the first person I was exposed to in the world of slam poetry and he remains my favorite poet. This is one of my favorite poems of his, and it is entitled "What Teachers Make." I dedicate this to Ms. (Kate) James.

In other news, it was freezing cold here again today. For work today I was on grounds duty which entailed raking all of the branches that fell during the freeze yesterday, weeding around a garden, and chopping up a small tree that fell down. After being outside for those three hours, I was cold for the rest of the day. I just took one of my two weekly showers and I'm finally starting to thaw. I don't really have anything new to post today, and I still don't have time to write about epistemology. I guess this is it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is very cool - I'll be sending this to my teacher friends. Love you and miss you but will see you in just a couple more weeks!